Fall Harvest Bowl
One of the best parts about fall is the fall harvest. So many delicious, nourishing, and hearty foods are in season, and go lovely together! So, I decided to put together a FALL HARVEST BOWL, full to the brim with healthy fall goodness. I've got all the bases covered in this recipe: protein, healthy fats, whole grain carbohydrates, micronutrients galore - all packaged in an array of colors, textures, and tastes! Here's what I used:
Butternut squash (I got mine pre-cut in a package at Costco)
I started out by roasting the cauliflower, butternut squash, and Brussels sprouts at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. While the veggies were in the oven, I cooked my chicken breast and quinoa on the stove. Once everything was all cooked, I was ready to assemble my bowl!
The first layer at the bottom of my bowl was the arugula. Next I scooped out 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa and plopped it in the middle. Then, I arranged the chicken, beets, cauliflower, butternut squash, and Brussels sprouts around the perimeter. Lastly, I sprinkled a handful of pumpkin seeds all over the whole bowl. For me, the bowl was tasty enough with all the seasonings I used on the veggies and chicken, so I didn't use any dressing or anything. But feel free to drizzle some oil and vinegar, or another dressing you love on the top!
This bowl will fill you up, and you can feel great about all of the nourishing seasonal ingredients!
2 chicken breasts
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup pumpkin seeds
4 cups arugula
2 cooked beets, sliced
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups butternut squash cubes
2 cups Brussels sprouts (whole, shaved, sliced, whatever you prefer)
2 TBS avocado oil
garlic powder to taste
red pepper flakes to taste
chicken seasoning to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prep a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. In a bowl, combine cauliflower, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, avocado oil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. You can either mix all the veggies together at once, or mix them with the oil and spices separately. I mixed them separately, and only put the red pepper flakes on my Brussels sprouts. Use whatever seasonings/amounts you like!
3. Spread out your veggies on your baking sheet, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. While the veggies are roasting, cook your chicken and quinoa on the stove. I used chicken seasoning when cooking my chicken, but use whatever seasoning your prefer!
5. Once your veggies, chicken, and quinoa are ready, it's time to assemble your bowl!
6. Put your arugula at the bottom. Then scoop out your quinoa and plop it in the middle of your bowl.
7. Next, assemble the chicken, beets, cauliflower, butternut squash, and Brussels sprouts around the perimeter.
8. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the top. Here you can also drizzle some olive oil and vinegar, or other dressing of your choice, Personally, I thought the seasonings on the veggies and chicken made the bowl tasty enough. But olive oil/vinegar or dressing would add to the flavor!
This bowl is so filling, nourishing, comforting, and festive! I hope you love it as much as I do!
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings):
Protein: 35.5 g
Fat: 20 g
Carbohydrates: 57 g