Healthier Take on Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole is one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving dinner. But I wanted to make this veggie dish a little lower calorie, so I made up this green bean-mushroom-baked onion concoction! Here's the ingredients:
Fresh green beans
Salt and pepper
The first step is to prep your onions. So, in a medium sized mixing bowl, stir up the flour, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
Then crack an egg in a separate bowl, and beat it up. Slice up your onion and coat it with the egg.
Then put your coated onions in the bowl with the almond mixture, and stir to coat the onions with the almond mixture.
Then spread the onion mixture out on a sheet pan, and bake for 20 minutes on 400°.
While waiting for the onions to bake, heat some oil in a pan and saute your green beans. When they're about medium soft, add in the mushrooms.
Once the green beans and mushrooms are tender, break up your baked onions and add them to the pan.
And your Healthier Take on Green Bean Casserole is ready for your Thanksgiving feast! Or any other feast!
Makes 4-6 servings.
2 cups fresh green beans
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 white onion
1 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400°.
2. Combine flour, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Beat the egg and slice up the onion into small pieces.
4. Dip the onion pieces in the egg, and then put the onion pieces into the flour mixture. Mix the onions around so that they get well coated with the flour mixture.
5. Spread the onions out on a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes.
6. While the onions are baking, saute the green beans in a pan.
7. When the green beans are about half-way soft, add the mushrooms. Add a bit more thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
8. Once both the green beans and mushrooms are nice and tender, break up the baked onion pieces in the pan, and stir it all up for a few minutes.
9. Put along side your turkey and mashed potatoes, and enjoy!!
Nutrition Facts per Serving:
These are estimates. Exact amounts may vary.
Protein: 4 g
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 6 g