Veggie Stuffed Chicken Quesadillas
With the temperatures getting chillier and chillier around here, I wanted a warm, comforting meal. I looked in my fridge and saw tortillas (left over from Fish Fajita Friday), kale, mushrooms, red onion, chicken, and cheese and it hit me - VEGGIE CHICKEN QUESADILLAS! And man, am I happy about that choice - talk about nutritious AND delicious. Here's what we're working with (except for the cheese, can't believe I forgot that for the photo, smh):
Avocado oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder
Coconut oil spray
Sprouted grain tortillas
So first, I sauteed my kale, mushrooms, and onion in a pan with avocado oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
After getting that rolling, I seasoned my chicken breast with chicken seasoning and cooked it in another pan.
After the veggies and chicken were ready, I removed them from their respective pans. Then I sprayed one side of one tortilla with some coconut oil cooking spray and put it sprayed side down in a pan. Then, I covered the tortilla with CHEEEEEESE.
Next, I spooned on my veggie mixture.
Then piled on the chicken.
Next I took another tortilla, sprayed one side with coconut oil spray, and placed it sprayed side up on top.
After about a minute or two, I flipped the whole thing over to heat the other side. The cheese was getting niiiiice and melty.
Lastly I cut it up into fourths, stuck them on a plate with some avocado and salsa and yummmmm. It was seriously sooo delicious. I think this is going to be a staple recipe for me. Super easy, super fast, and so satisfying.
1 cup kale
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 medium red onion
1 TBS avocado oil
Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
1 chicken breast
Chicken seasoning to taste
Coconut oil spray (or your favorite cooking spray)
2 sprouted grain tortillas
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1. Heat avocado oil in a pan. Throw in your onions first, since they'll take the longest to cook. Then the kale, and the mushrooms last. Sprinkle in your desired amount of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Saute until the veggies are limp.
2. While the veggies are cooking, cook your chicken breast through in a pan with chicken seasoning, and cut into bite size pieces.
3. Spray one side of one tortilla with cooking spray, and place in a pan, sprayed side down.
4. Top the tortilla with cheese, then veggies, then chicken.
5. Spray one side of the other tortilla with cooking spray, and put it on top - sprayed side up.
6. After a couple minutes, flip the whole thing over to heat the other side.
7. After another couple minutes, remove from pan and cut your quesadilla into slices.
8. Serve with avocado, salsa, sour cream, or whatever other toppings you love!
Recipe makes 2 servings.
Nutrition per serving:
Protein: 37 g
Fat: 19 g
Carbohydrates: 22 g